the real china
05.07.2010 32 °C
so i eventually connected all the dots and figured out that this isn't actually my host family - my real 16 year old sister is studying for the HUGE final exams that are taking place this entire week so i'm not actually going to see her until maybe next week? and at the moment i'm staying with her aunt and uncle and her little sister. wait - what? she has a sister? china...one-child policy... yeah, i'm still confused too. but supposedly i'm staying with her little sister until she's done. since they don't speak english, i'm going to have to bear with the google translating until shes done with exams.
so we're already had a banquet style lunch and for dinner we had dumplings and fermicelli soup noodles. :D yay! we had to walk a long way past the park to the restaurant and even though it was very sticky and humid, it was really nice to be able to just walk down the street for dinner with a whole bunch of people milling around.
what i noticed tonight:
- women wear chunky wedges and dresses while they're riding on their scooters. women don't drive cars
- older guys tend to not wear shirts
- people are happy and relaxed even though its really hot ... :D
- theres no such thing as a sidewalk, right of way - street manners i guess. i'm pretty sure i knew that already but i was more aware of it walking to dinner tonight when everyone just drives on the opposite sides of the street and parks face to face. surprised i havent seen any car accidents yet.. but then i guess everyones already used to driving like that!
- we took a walk after dinner and travelled through a kind of foresty thing near the condos. the waters murky and they have color-changing light decorations all along the large pond.. pictures later.
- schools tomorrow morning at 8 but i have to get up at 6:15 ): they'll be driving me for the next few days but when my 16 year old sister is done with exams then we'll be taking the bus i think
update tomorrow! zai jian [: